Thursday 10 August 2017

Spelling Bee Book, Lori Holt : Book Review

I was recently lucky enough to receive a copy of Lori Holt's new book, Spelling Bee from the Fat Quarter Shop.  All four of Lori's books have been published by Sew Emma, the publishing part of The Fat Quarter Shop empire and I think this is my favourite of all the books she's written and I know many of you are Lori fans so I thought you'd like to see inside!


The main theme in this book is being able to produce personal, tailor made quilts with words and pictures suitable for family and a multitude of special occasions.   There are seven sections covering the basics that you will need (letters, numbers, punctuation, pictures) as well as specific full size and mini quilt designs. 



All the blocks in the book come in two height sizes ( 6" and 12" finished) to allow you to produce projects of different size and scale.



The book is worth buying for the picture blocks alone!  A lovely selection.  My daughter picked the telephone and camera favourites and I liked the flower, dog and sewing machine.




As with all Lori's books, her instructions are impeccable and backed up by clear and easy to follow diagrams. The format is spiral bound so it lies flat in use - especially handy when cutting and prepping.


My very favourite project is this Sunshine quilt. I fancy making this with the 'You are my' text and then a pieced improv style Dresden underneath, a bit like this doll quilt I made for a swap six years ago, still one of my favourite makes!  



Many of the projects act as a springboard for your own interpretation, it's an inspiring and uplifting book to look through.


You can find the book at 

SaveSave

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for showing so much of the inside to help us getter a better idea of what it is like. I really like that it is spiral bound too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is awesome. I have so many favorites - it is hard to know where to start. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! Think I'd better add this to my quilt book library!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.